sparc64/77417: high usage of Cpu when lan UserS exchange file from lan only(crash/reboot)

Pyun YongHyeon yongari at kt-is.co.kr
Sun Feb 13 18:40:27 PST 2005

The following reply was made to PR sparc64/77417; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Pyun YongHyeon <yongari at kt-is.co.kr>
To: fabio gaspo <gaspolo at gmail.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: sparc64/77417: high usage of Cpu when lan UserS exchange file from lan only(crash/reboot)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:38:52 +0900

 On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 03:33:56PM +0000, fabio gaspo wrote:

  > >Number:         77417
  > >Category:       sparc64
  > >Synopsis:       high usage of Cpu when lan UserS exchange file from lan only(crash/reboot)
  > >Confidential:   no
  > >Severity:       critical
  > >Environment:
  > [gaspo@~] uname -a
  > FreeBSD sparc64 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #0: Tue Feb  8 22:54:16 CET 2005     gaspo at sparc64:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SPARC64  sparc64
  > [gaspo@~]

  > i use my freebsd how Gateway for 2 client windows..
  > FreeBSD on hme0 >windows  on rl1 "A"
  >                 >windows  on rl0 "B"
  > when A take/send file to B or viceversa (in lan)
  > this 2 process intr2000: rl0 intr2000: rl1 take a lot of %Cpu USage..the load average up to 20/50  and after some second the server crash..and reboot
  > i see the same problem when from A machine take ftp/http file from Server in this case only intr2017: hme0 and intr2017: rl0 take a lot of cpu usage...and server not crash but is very very slow....unusable..

 I have no experience of rl(4) on sparc64. But AFAIK, rl(4) is
 not good/fast NIC and needs more CPU power to get full speeds.
 See bugs section in rl(4).

  > >How-To-Repeat:
  > use freebsd 5.3 sparc64 how natd and try to take file from pc in lan ...

 I guess the high CPU usage comes from natd(8). Since natd(8)
 is userland application it has performance penalty when it is
 used on busy networks or slow machines. You would get better
 results with pf(4) since all NAT operations are performed in
 kernel.

  > >Fix:
  > i think is a drive problem for realtek card on sparc64 server...i dont know how fix.

 I need more information for the crash you seen. Please post stack
 traces and make sure to use -O compilation flag to get correct
 frame information.

 --
 Regards,
 Pyun YongHyeon