installing from ?

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Tue Apr 26 21:21:09 PDT 2005

Doing this again, I just want to know, if one doesn't happen to have the
menus totally memorized, then is it possible to install from teh VGA
screen & and keyboard, or do you need a serial line?

I actually (last time I asked this) had someone insist that many folks
have the menu's in their heads.  Anyone who thinks that way has no
business writing UI material, no matter if it's true or not.

If you need a serial port, why in heck doesn't the documentation say so?
  Are you embarrassed, or is someone laughing at each and every person
(at least every newbie) who comes down the pike, that you're going to
catch another sucker.

Admit it if the system won't allow it.  It's been this way now for a
great long time, so saying "it'll be fixed RSN" is an egreious fib.
We're losing more folks from frustration than we're gaining from lying
to folks (how is that good, now?)

I have checked over the docs very carefully, they don't tell you you are
going to need the serial port for anything more than using ppp, or
catching the boot process.  The fact that the menu's require the use of
non-functional arrows to work, is just silly.