Bsd on Sun Cobalts. When if ever?

Justin Oechsner justino at dctexas.net
Sat Sep 18 02:49:55 PDT 2004

If this goes to the wrong team, or person please forward to anyone related here in.

Hello, I like many other out there have a Sun system known as a Cobalt. Mines a Cobalt XTR. Its an x86 Platform mines (1ghz PIII dual capable). Currently there are no BSD Platforms which will install on it. You can however install Linux Platforms, such RedHat/Slack/Gen ect ect. after you flash the BIOS with an after marker Flash available from Sourceforge http://sourceforge.net/projects/cobalt-rom . The current problem at had with all of the Cobalt systems is that there is no Standard bios for it, allowing load from a MBR. Even though the ROM data from Sun and from Sourceforge is all open source. I know you at FreeBSD have put a lot of time in to the Sparc versions of BSD. But, is there any chance you could lend a helpful hand to the few of us people with Cobalts that haven't given up on them, and maybe give the people who have a reason to pull them out of the closet? I'm not a asm or C programmer or I'd help. :( But I'd be willing to do anything to help.
Sincerely,
Justin Oechsner
me at hinac.com