Ultra 1: upgrade OpenBoot?

Philip Paeps philip at freebsd.org
Sun Oct 31 06:02:03 PST 2004

On 2004-10-30 10:45:46 (+0200), Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no> wrote:
> How do I upgrade OpenBoot on a Ultra 1

[...]

> The last one is the network boot method. It seems to be missing detailed
> info about what things I need to set up on a FreeBSD machine in order for
> the Ultra 1 to boot the patch over the network.

It's fairly simple.  You'll need to set up rarp and tftp on some other machine
on the network.  Just add something like '172.16.2.123 sunbox' to your hosts
file, and map the mac address of the box to that ip address in /etc/ethers.

Stick the firmware file into /tftpboot, and call it 'ip-in-hex'.  Just run
rarpd and inetd (uncomment tftpd) and 'boot net' the Ultra.  Done :-)

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps                                    Please don't Cc me, I am
philip at freebsd.org                               subscribed to the list.

  Do not dangle the mouse by the  |   Do not expose your LaserWriter
  cord or throw it at coworkers.  |   to open fire or flame.
        -- SGI Indy manual        |         -- Apple Laserwriter manual