Serial configs on sparc64

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Sun Nov 28 20:06:34 PST 2004

At 10:40 PM -0800 11/24/04, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>On Nov 24, 2004, at 9:21 PM, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>
>>I un-commented the uart line in my kernel config, and changed
>>the lines in /etc/tty back to what they had been.  I booted into
>>single-user with the new kernel (planning to 'make installworld'),
>>and I had no serial console.
>
>Did you remove zs(4)?
>Did you remove ofw_console(4)?
>Did you add puc(4)?

This combination did not work in the way I was hoping for.

I have tried a variety of things over the past few days, and at this
point I'm starting to lose track of which-combination-did-what.  But I
think it was that if I remove ofw_console, then the bootup messages stop
showing up after the line "jumping to kernel entry at 0xc0048000.",
which comes very early in the startup process.  If I removed the 'sab'
device, I seemed to get closer to what I wanted.

What I was hoping for was to have both the firmware console that one
gets from plugging in the keyboard, and the serial console.  I wanted
all the bootup messages to go to the serial console, where they are
easy for me to capture.  Once the system was up in multi-user mode, I
wanted to be able to log into both the firmware and the serial console.
When dropping into single-user mode, I wanted one of the two consoles
to work (I don't mind which one).  Apparently I can't get to that point.

I notice Marius just committed some changes to dev/uart, so maybe I
should retry after recompiling with that.  I should note that I'm not
really all *that* concerned about this.  Initially all I really wanted
to do was to stop seeing the error messages about ttya at startup, and
to have a getty running on the serial console.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu