Convert to Vinum problems

Stephen Fisher StephenTFisher at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 28 00:45:41 PST 2004

I am having trouble setting up vinum on a new Sparc64 box.  I am using a
Sun Netra T1 105 with two 9GB SCSI drives.  I want to mirror all
partitions (including the root) between the drives for redundancy.  I'm
installing 5.2.1-RELEASE from a burned CD.  I have gotten so far as to
have /usr and /var mirrored after a lot of hacking at it but couldn't
get the root partition mirrored.  So I decided to start from scratch...

The main problem I am having is that all of the documentation on Vinum
explains how to install it with bsd labels instead of sun labels.  The
latest documentation I have tried following is
<http://www.vinumvm.org/cfbsd/vinum.pdf> which explains how to "install
a conventional system then convert it to Vinum."  When I create a
partially overlaping "h" partition I get an error stating that the a
partition overlaps with my "a" partition (the whole point, isn't it?)
and I have to edit the label again to fix it.

Partition table before modifications:

  a:     530145         66   # /
  b:    1060290          0   # swap
  c:   17655435          0   # (whole disk)
  d:     530145         99   # /var
  e:   15534855        132   # /usr

After modifications (reduced swap by 281 sectors at the beginning) and
started h 16 sectors into the drive to skip the boot loader):

  a:     530145         66
  b:    1060009        281
  c:   17655435          0
  d:     530145         99
  e:   15534855        132
  h:   17655419         16

I would appreciate any pointers anyone has to offer in getting this
working.. Thanks! :)

--
Stephen Fisher
San Jose, CA USA