any chance of running FreeBSD on a Sun Ultra 1?

Harti Brandt brandt at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Thu Jan 22 00:36:57 PST 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Jeremy Faulkner wrote:

JF>Fernan Aguero wrote:
JF>> Hi!
JF>>
JF>> I am a FreeBSD user, but my experience is limited to i386
JF>> hardaware.
JF>>
JF>> Recently, our lab received an old Ultra 1 from Sun. It is
JF>> currently running Solaris 8, but I'd like to investigate the
JF>> possibility of running FreeBSD (or perhaps some other OS).
JF>>
JF>> It seems that the Ultra 1 is unsupported, but does that mean
JF>> that it will not boot/run FreeBSD? Or just that no work is
JF>> being done from the sparc@ project?
JF>>
JF>> If it's possible to netboot it, I can set up some shared NFS
JF>> partitions on my i386 machine to hold what's necessary ...
JF>
JF>IIRC, the on board network and scsi cards are not supported (don't have
JF>functional drivers yet).

It depends on whether this is an Ultra with a green or a red 1 on the
front. The red one's network card are supported (the hme).

I'm just trying to get mine to netboot. While it boots a couple of
programs dump core (ls for example), but this may be just a pilot error.

harti
--
harti brandt,
http://www.fokus.fraunhofer.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/private