Back to the Future - 64-bit time_t on sparc64

Tillman Hodgson tillman at seekingfire.com
Mon Feb 16 20:06:17 PST 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 04:27:21PM -0500, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> For this specific update (going from 32-bTT to 64-bTT), there is
> just a slight increase in risk by running the installworld_oldk
> script.  If you follow the directions, and if you are ONLY making
> the update from 32-bTT to 64-bTT (as described in the directions),
> then the risk is pretty close to zero.  If you think you're going
> to do the 64-bTT change, and AT THE SAME TIME also 'cvsup' another
> three weeks-worth of other changes to 5.2-current, then the risk
> could be much more serious.

I figured as much. I'm currently upgrading to the latest -CURRENT in
32-bTT mode. I'm also going through my ports to see if I can weed out
any that I don't need anymore in order to save time reocmpiling later.

> This is described in a little detail in the UPDATING.64BTT file.

Speaking of which, in that document you mention the problem with
portupgrade and note that you have a prebuilt package available for
download. Is that necessary, or will a portupgrade of portupgrade itself
generally compile fine (allowing one to use the newly compiled version
of portupgrade to get the rest of the ports done)?

-T

--
Page 2: Unix today is nothing less than a worldwide culture, comprising
many tools, ideas and customs.