OT: Solaris Jumpstart from FreeBSD

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at efn.org
Sun Feb 15 10:46:58 PST 2004

Stefan Bethke wrote this message on Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 17:57 +0100:
> Am 16.01.2004 um 08:20 schrieb Crist J. Clark:
>
> >Before I hack away at the Solaris Jumpstart tools to get them to run
> >on FreeBSD, I was wondering if anyone here has done or can provide a
> >pointer to someone who has already done this and is willing to share
> >scripts, patches, etc.
> >
> >Sorry for being off topic, but I figured if any FreeBSD community knew
> >of something like this, this one would.
>
> I always wanted to do that, but never found the time to fully set up a
> server.
>
> One problem that I did need to solve: extract the data from a install
> cd image. The standard Solaris CDs have one ISO in the usual location,
> but are also labelled and have UFS filesystems on them, which are
> neccessary for booting. The attached little tool will print out block
> numbers from the image so that one can extract the filesystems with dd.

are you sure this is needed anymore?  since phk put the cd drivers
under geom, you should be able to see the partitions on the label if
you have the geom_sunlabel module loaded...

and on a sparc64 box, you can just mount the fs read-only right off
the cd...  I did this a while back with hacks to the ide cd driver
before phk did the work...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579