Back to the Future - 64-bit time_t on sparc64

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Fri Feb 13 19:53:05 PST 2004

Well, I have done more typing and testing, and it looks like I
can reliably upgrade a 32-bit time_t system to 64-bit time_t
even for people who install from NFS-mounted partitions.

I have also expanded the instructions for updating, and tried
to make them more useful and informative.  So there is now the
writeup, and two useful scripts:

http://people.freebsd.org/~gad/time-64/UPDATING.64BTT
http://people.freebsd.org/~gad/time-64/installworld_oldk
http://people.freebsd.org/~gad/time-64/installworld_newk

The 'oldk' script is only needed for installing via NFS mounts.
The 'newk' script is recommended for anyone doing this upgrade.

Adventurous people are invited to try this for installs on any
system, and let me know how it goes

Thanks go to Greg Panula, who did do a bunch of testing of my
previous script + writeup over NFS-mounted directories, and
thus trashed a (spare) sparc64 system while finding out that
they did not work very well for NFS...

I need to polish up the writeup a little bit more, but I think
the scripts are now in fine shape.  I know these files are not
perfect.  I have done about a dozen successful upgrades with
these scripts, and after each one I realized some way to improve
the scripts or the writeup.  So, I am sure other people will
also find some room for improvement. However, if we want to
make this change before 5.3 release, then we need to schedule
the actual change sometime soon.   I do feel that these now
do a fairly good and complete job.

Even though there's a bit more polishing I could do, I wanted
to get these out tonight, so they'd be available for those
developers who have a long (3-day) weekend where they might
have some extra time for testing these files.

There are other ways this could be approached, but one of my
goals was to change nothing in the standard makefiles.  We
could install these files for a few weeks, let people use
them to perform the upgrade, and then delete them.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu