Garbage thrown into console

R. Tyler Ballance tyler at tamu.edu
Sun Dec 19 02:35:16 PST 2004

Howdy, I finally got the console (as in, physical access to the machine
over serial) working in -CURRENT on my Ultra 2 using the patches
recommended to me by Marius Strobl (found here:
http://alchemy.franken.de/~marius/zs_nwo.diff)

Anyways, they work now, and after rebooting a second time after
rebuilding the kernel with the patches applied to the zs driver, I get
garbage thrown into the console before I get the usual FreeBSD prompt

-----[snip]-----

Starting inetd.
Starting background file system checks in 60 seconds.

Sun Dec 19 04:17:58 CST 2004
]:Fre oSp/sparc64e(nres a/edteerovc/m) (scteen)ty
lo:i :No such file or directory

FreeBSD/sparc64 (ares.agentdero.com) (ttyy0)

login:

-----[snip]-----

While not something critical, it is slightly annoying, and ugly, anybody
have any idea what is causing it? To make sure it wasn't a one time
thing, I reset once again, and got this:

-----[snip]-----
Starting inetd.
Starting background file system checks in 60 seconds.

Sun Dec 19 04:24:46 CST 2004

FreeBSD/sparc64 (ares.agentdero.com) (screen)

login: Dec 19 04:24:47 ares getty[402]: open /dev/ttyz0: No such file or
directory
Dec 19 04:24:47 ares getty[400]: open /dev/ttya: No such file or
directory
Dec 19 04:24:47 getty[400]: open /dev/ttya: No such file or directory

FreeBSD/sparc64 (ares.agentdero.com) (ttyy0)

login:
-----[snip]-----

Just to be more certain than not, I reset yet again, and got a
combination of the two! (Oh brother, this is getting annoying ;))

-----[snip]-----
Starting inetd.
Starting background file system checks in 60 seconds.

Sun Dec 19 04:27:30 CST 2004

FreeBSD/sparc64
                Fr(aBSD/rpaec64 (ares.agentdero.som).agentdnero.com)
g(ttyy0)

login:
FreeBSD/sparc64 (ares.agentdero.com) (ttyy0)

login: Dec 19 04:27:31 getty[400]: open /dev/ttya: No such file or
directory
Dec 19 04:27:31 ares getty[400]: open /dev/ttya: No such file or
directory

FreeBSD/sparc64 (ares.agentdero.com) (ttyy0)

login:

If anybody has any other (more correct?) patches that I can use, that'd
be wonderful (prior to the patch, console was completely unusable, so
it's a step in the right direction)

-R. Tyler Ballance