'make installworld' can't find /usr/bin/touch?

James Snow snow at teardrop.org
Wed Apr 21 14:38:18 PDT 2004

I see that this has been seen by at least one other person
(http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-sparc64/2004-February/001340.html)
but without a solution being found, that I can see.

The error I see:

>>> Installing everything..
cd /usr/src; make -f Makefile.inc1 install
===> share/info
===> include
creating osreldate.h from newvers.sh
touch: not found
*** Error code 127

The system is an Ultra 10 running 5.2.1-R, and I'm trying to
upgrade it to 5.2.1-R-p5. The first time this happened I did
an 'rm -rf /usr/src /usr/obj' and cvsup'd again from
scratch, but I see the same error.

'which touch' reports the existance of /usr/bin/touch and it
works just fine.

I'm kind of stumped. I figure I'm doing something stupid
since this is my first FreeBSD-sparc64 box. Is the process
for upgrading under 5.x on the sparc still:

make buildworld
make buildkernel
make installkernel
make installworld