5.2.1 mini-ISO fails to boot on U450

Joerg Wunsch j at ida.interface-business.de
Mon Apr 19 10:36:14 PDT 2004

[Sorry for the silence, but I haven't been subscribed to sparc64 until
right now, so I didn't notice that reply.]

As Jason Mann wrote:

> > Fatal SCSI error  at script address 8 Illegal instruction
> > Drive not ready
>
> Sounds like you have a dead disk.

Hmm, I doubt that.  The machine has been running Solaris until it got
retired.  The only change since is that a few out of its dozen of
drives have been removed.

> Open the door on the front of the server and check the status LEDs
> next to each disk.

They were all lit as expected.

Just out of curiosity, I've pulled all but one drive, but the same.

I found a FreeBSD 5.1 boot CD-ROM, and it gets me a few more messages
on the serial console but will eventually fail similarly:

Boot device: /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 2/disk at 6,0:f  File and args:

>> FreeBSD/sparc64 boot block
   Boot path:   /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 2/disk at 6,0:f
   Boot loader: /boot/loader
Console: OpenFirmware console
Boot path set to /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 2/disk at 6,0:a

FreeBSD/sparc64 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.0
(fenner at sparkle.attlabs.net, Tue May  6 15:11:35 PDT 2003)
bootpath="/pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 2/disk at 6,0:a"

[here the `twiddle' is spinning]

Fatal SCSI error  at script address 8 Illegal instruction
Drive not ready

How's the sparc64 CD-ROM organized, would it be possible to dd the
entire image onto a hard disk (using a Solaris boot), and try booting
off that hard drive, just to avoid the CD-ROM as the possible source
of error?

The drives itself are 4 GB Seagate Barracudas.  The SCSI controllers
are the standard Sym 53C876 (I believe) dual-channel controllers that
used to be in the E450.

Are there any requirements wrt. the OBP version?  It probably hasn't
been upgraded for a while... (it announces itself as 3.14).

Here's the output of probe-scsi-all (with a single hard drive) for
reference.

{0} ok probe-scsi-all
/pci at 6,4000/scsi at 4,1

/pci at 6,4000/scsi at 4

/pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 2
Target 5
  Unit 0   Removable Tape     EXABYTE EXB-8505SMBANSH20090
Target 6
  Unit 0   Removable Read Only device    TOSHIBA XM5701TASUN12XCD0997

/pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3
Target 0
  Unit 0   Disk     SEAGATE ST34371W SUN4.2G7462

Just to make sure I've also dug up an old 8 mm tape medium and loaded
it into the Exb drive, but still the same. :(

--
J"org Wunsch					       Unix support engineer
joerg_wunsch at interface-systems.de        http://www.interface-systems.de/~j/