watchdog reset

Andrew Belashov bel at orel.ru
Mon Apr 19 01:13:50 PDT 2004

Hello!

RJ45 wrote:
| I wrote some time ago about this problem.
| I have sporadic watchdog reset errors and machine goes to PROM.
| I have ultra 60 dual 450MHz.
|
| Someone told me that it could be faulty hardware (RAM for example).
| Anyway this kind of error never occourred me with solaris 9 installed.
|
| So I ask here if someone else has this kind of sporadic problem
| with other ultra type of workstations.
|
| I added debug options to the kernel but I could not trace anything useful
| once the machine is in PROM I have to reset it and no kernel crash dump
| is written to the disk at boot time.

Rebuild kernel without SMP option and try it.

I have statistics for five phisical machines for period more of one year.
Versions of FreeBSD from 5.0-RELEASE to CURRENT.

+---+--------------+------+------------+-----------------------
| 1 |Netra T1 105  |   1  |    YES     | Excellent
| 2 |Netra T1 105  |   1  |    YES     | Excellent
| 3 |Ultra 10      |   1  |    YES     | Excellent
| 4a|Ultra 60      |   2  |    YES     | Bad
| 4b|-//-          |   2  |     NO     | Excellent
| 5a|Ultra 60      |   2  |    YES     | Bad
| 5b|-//-          |   2  |     NO     | Excellent

Ultra 60 periodical hard lookup when kernel build with SMP option :(

Also, with option DDB (kernel debugger) kernel may by generate strange panic:

panic: ipi_send: couldn't send ipi
cpuid = 1;
Debugger("panic")
Stopped at      Debugger+0x1c:  ta              %xcc, 1

db> trace
panic() at panic+0x134
cpu_ipi_send() at cpu_ipi_send+0xb0
cpu_ipi_selected() at cpu_ipi_selected+0x38
tlb_page_demap() at tlb_page_demap+0x74
pmap_zero_page_idle() at pmap_zero_page_idle+0xe4
vm_page_zero_idle() at vm_page_zero_idle+0x74
vm_pagezero() at vm_pagezero+0xb4
fork_exit() at fork_exit+0x90
fork_trampoline() at fork_trampoline+0x8

With best regards,
Andrew Belashov.