Partly solved -- UID/GID resolving

vezku at surfeu.fi vezku at surfeu.fi
Tue Sep 2 01:13:13 PDT 2003

Hey all,

I asked about why "ls -l" is slow on FBSD 5.1-RELEASE (sparc64, SUN E250
Ultrasparc II).

I have about 5000 accounts on local master.passwd. It seems that if I use
an account which is at the bottom of master.passwd, it takes ages to
resolve. And this makes directory listing slow and also SSH file transfer.
If I move an account to the beginning of file, everything runs fine.

Is there any way to improve resolving performance or is the hardware just
too slow?
Any chance of bugs in master.passwd code on sparc64?

-Vesa