time_t on sparc64

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Wed Oct 15 00:44:57 PDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 09:06:38AM +0200, Harti Brandt wrote:

> MM>BTW: time_t on ia64 is already 64 bit.
>
> Hmm. In this case it should be rather easy to change sparc64's time_t to
> 64bit?

Yes. The MI code is already done and there's not much MD code that
is expected to break. It's mostly the structures that change. This
is especially painful on sparc64 because it's big-endian. I assume
that sparc64 passes syscall arguments in registers, so the syscalls
that take a time_t do not change except that there's no sign extension
prior to use. You can preserve the ABI until 2038 by ignoring the
upper 32-bits in that case.

 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel at xcllnt.net