X on sparc64?

Tillman Hodgson tillman at seekingfire.com
Sat Oct 11 18:48:39 PDT 2003

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 06:42:24PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 07:38:36PM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 05:34:02PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > > Be aware that 4.x's NFS code doesn't like talking to sparc64 clients -
> > > it causes the i386 server to double fault.  5.x as a server is
> > > perfectly happy though.
> >
> > I have an Ultra 5 running a recent -current that uses an i386 -stable as
> > it's NFS server ... I've never seen any problems with it. Is this an
> > issue that is only affected via certain NFS options or is otherwise
> > possible to (unknowingly) avoid?
>
> It only occurs under load..if you've never put heavy (I mean heavy!)
> loads on the server you've probably avoided it.  I was able to repeat
> this on two separate networks.

Load on which end? I dump all filesystems on 4 servers to the -stable
box out of daily.local (thus simultaneously), which should swamp the NFS
server fairly regularly. 14 out of 16 of my nfsd's show significant CPU
usage, considering that my uptime is 11 days (my last -stable upgrade).

I'm now somewhat nervous about the setup if you meant load on the NFS
server rather than the sparc64 client :-)

-T

--
The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out alive.
	- Robert Heinlein