X on sparc64?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sat Oct 11 17:34:08 PDT 2003

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 01:48:19PM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> Folks,
>
> What is the status of X on sparc64?

Jake's p4 branch had working code (I've been using my u30 as my main
desktop for about 6 months now, until the monitor went on the fritz
yesterday), except the latest p4 code causes XFree86 to reset my
machine at startup.  I believe there are some integration issues in
getting this merged into the CVS tree.

> I have a not-for-profit organisation where we want to
> put 5.x on UE30 with Creator3D cards to be used as Xterminals,
> hanging off a FreeBSD/i386 4-stable server.

Be aware that 4.x's NFS code doesn't like talking to sparc64 clients -
it causes the i386 server to double fault.  5.x as a server is
perfectly happy though.

Kris