setting fb resolution

David Cornejo davepc at dogwood.com
Fri Nov 14 21:31:11 PST 2003

Hi,

Hope this is not off-topic - I've got an Ultra 60 with some form of Creator
3D graphics card in it, running 5.1 CURRENT.

The monitor is a Compaq S910 connected through an adapter.  I'm never
getting video on the thing.  If I power up with the monitor + keyboard
connected I see the LED on the front of monitor go somewhere between green
& orange (I think this means it's not getting a frequency it can lock to?).

I've tried playing with the output-device variable (with the serial port)
to no avail with a variety of settings at 1024x768 and 1280x1024 which the
monitor should handle.

(like setenv output-device screen:r1280x1024x60)

However, there's no change in behavior - can anyone point me at a FAQ or
tell me how to make the fb usable at least for the console?

many thanks,
dave c