which is faster: netBSD on my Sparc20 or FreeBSD on P2 dell 450MHz

Dag-ErlingSmørgrav des at des.no
Fri Nov 14 09:53:35 PST 2003

Harry Wang <foreversoldier at yahoo.com> writes:
> More importantly, I am trying to test the low level
> file session (open, close, read, close, seek, etc)
> performance difference between:
>
> 1. netBSD  on  SUN Sparc20
> 2. FreeBSD on  Dell precision 410 (P2 450MHz)
>
> similar in RAM.
>
> I am hoping to find out if it's wiser to use SUN
> hardware or PC hardware under *BSD.

This is a meaningless comparison.

If you want to compare hardware, compare same-generation hardware
running the same operating system (e.g. Sun Blade 150 workstation
against your Dell Precision, both running FreeBSD-CURRENT).  The
Sparc20 is nearly ten years old and doesn't run FreeBSD.

If you want to compare operating systems, you need to run them on the
same hardware.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no