XFree86 working with CVS sources

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Nov 12 03:05:59 PST 2003

With the changes jake committed to CVS in the past few days, XFree86
is working on my ultra30 with stock CVS sources.

I added the following options to my kernel:

device          sc
device          splash		# optional
option          KBD_INSTALL_CDEV
device          creator
device          uart            # Multi-uart driver
device          puc

and then ran moused -t mousesystems -p /dev/uart3.  vidcontrol -m also
allows you to use the mouse from syscons, as on i386 (this was not
previously working with jake's code).

The XFree86-server package isn't currently available on the ftp sites
because it failed to build on the last package run due to a gcc bug,
but this is apparently fixed with gcc 3.3.3, and I hope to retry the
build in the next few days.  In the meantime, everything should
compile successfully from ports as long as you have an up-to-date
world.

A few months ago I got GNOME and KDE working on this machine to the
extent that I could test them, so unless there's been a regression
they should still work out of the box.  Mozilla and Firebird also run
(but the last time I ran them natively there were bugs that seemed to
be due to threading, which caused regular crashes during input and
deadlocks loading multiple tabs).

I use Windowmaker - the only issue I know of here is a RGB bug in
libtiff that causes the R and B channels of the image to be exchanged.
I fixed this at one point, but it seems to have crept back in.

Applications that I know do not work:

* Doom :(
* Anything that uses SDL
* mplayer (plays movies, but the color pallette is wrong)

So there's work still to be done, but overall things are looking very
good!

Kris