FBSD 5.0 - SUN 250 - software RAID1

vezku at surfeu.fi vezku at surfeu.fi
Wed Jun 4 22:24:57 PDT 2003

Hi everyone,

First of all I want to thank for making sparc64 port of FreeBSD. SMP
support is real nice.
A couple of questions though.

1) Is FreeBSD sparc64 port stable enough for production? I'm running a
system of 5000 users and planning to run FreeBSD for shell access and home
directories.

2)disklabel is still unavailable for spar64? sysinstall gives me a
headache and now refuses to change partition tables of the two disk I'm
trying to mirror. Is vinum or raidframe stable enough to trust in? I
understood that vinum is better choice, but now I'm stuck because I can't
label disks. Has anyone succeeded in this? I saw similar questions in
archive, but no answers...
Hardware RAID would be optimal, but I can't get hold of suitable card for
SUN 250...
Thanks and keep up the good work!

-Vesa, SysAdmin, Finland