Serial port flaky when using vi - Netra 1 T 105

Small, Jim jim.small at eds.com
Mon Dec 22 16:20:21 PST 2003

I've seen this too.  Besides setting the terminal correctly, I've found that
if I set the columns and rows correctly it seems to fix the problem.

For example:
I use an xterm on a UNIX host and then connect via serial connection (tip).
Once the O/S is up and running I use ssh.  Either way though it's similar:
Assuming default of csh:
setenv TERM xterm
stty rows 48 columns 132

Once I do this, vi/more/less seem to work correctly.  You just need to enter
the correct row and column size.  On the UNIX host you're connecting from,
you can do an stty -a to get these parameters.

HTH,
   <> Jim