Serial port flaky when using vi - Netra 1 T 105

Phillips, Paul paulp at mail.smu.edu
Mon Dec 22 11:27:45 PST 2003

I have been installing FreeBSD 5.2 beta on a Netra T1 105.  This is a headless server, and I am using a Mac Powerbook running Zterm as a VT100 terminal emulator.  The settings on Zterm are 8-N-1.

In the past, I have used Zterm on this Netra to install Solaris with no troubles.

The actual booting up and install works fine.  However, post install, when I am running the console through the serial port, and attempt to use vi as an editor, it becomes very flaky.  The h, j, k, and l keys do not work to move the cursor.  The down and up arrow keys do work, but only if I move them VERY slowly.  When I use the left and right arrow keys, it starts to write over the line that I am moving over with different text from somewhere else in the file.

Very strange.  This makes editing from the serial port virtually impossible.  Luckily, I can get it installed, then ssh in and do the edits.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Paul Phillips