Netra X1 - Status query and stupid question

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Fri Aug 29 18:58:49 PDT 2003

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 01:30:50AM +0100, Pete Bentley wrote:
> On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 12:31 AM, Marius Strobl wrote:
> > Just curious, could you please try the attached patch and check if the
> > MAC addresses get set and then set local-mac-address in the
> > OpenFirmware
> > and check again if the dc interfaces get different MAC addresses?
>
> Sorry for being a bit slow here, had other issues to deal with.
>
> I've just tried this patch - applies fine, builds fine (prevents the
> dc module from building, but I simply disabled that as a workaround).

Adding the following to sys/modules/dc/Makefile should fix this:
.if ${MACHINE_ARCH} == sparc64
SRCS+=	opt_ofw_pci.h
.endif

> Tried it with and without local-mac-address set and with versions 1.0.1
> and 1.0.18 of the Netra boot PROM and it works the same in all 4
> instances...
>
> Works the same as Solaris 9, that is dc0 gets the hosts's MAC address
> and dc1
> gets that address 'plus 1' (see output below).
>
> So in effect, local-mac-address is ignored but in a way that isn't
> likely
> to matter.

This is strange, it rather looks like local-mac-address is always true
for these interfaces, or at least for the second one. You could add a
printf() to check if the call to OF_getprop() fails and the node address
then gets read via OF_getetheraddr().

Thanks for testing!