FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE on SunFire V100

Rob MacGregor rob_macgregor at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 28 02:57:27 PDT 2003

I have a minor problem with FreeBSD 5.1 on a SunFire V100.  I'll skip the
fact that the default kernel doesn't support the network interfaces (dc) and
I had to recompile the kernel :-)

My problem is that, now they're available, neither interface reports it's
MAC address (it did when Solaris 9 was installed):

# ifconfig dc1
dc1: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet6 fe80::d41d:8cd9:8f00:b204%dc1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
        ether 00:00:00:00:00:00
        status: active

There is another minor problem in that the interfaces are the "wrong" way
around.  Interface 0 is reported as dc1 and interface 1 as dc0.

I'm also getting:

dc1: watchdog timeout
dc1: failed to force tx and rx to idle state
dc1: failed to force tx and rx to idle state

A search of the archives indicate it was a known problem (well, irritant) in
5.0.  Strangely I don't get this for dc0.

Finally, a strange one:

warning: no time-of-day clock registered, system time will not be set
accurately

Now, I've got a few days to play with this system before I have to lock it
down and put it live.  If anybody has anything they think is worth trying
I'll give it a go.

TIA

  Please DO NOT send me ANY email directly unless it's a privacy issue.
       Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above.
--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?