Sparc slowdown - problem identified...

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Sat Aug 16 14:27:32 PDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 04:34:04PM +0200, Thomas Moestl wrote:
> > The notes for OFW_NEWPCI say:
> >
> > # New OpenFirmware PCI framework. This fixes a number of interrupt-
> > # routing problems and changes the device enumeration to be hopefully
> > # closer to Solaris. Be aware that, because of the latter, enabling or
> > # disabling this option may require reconfiguration, and can even
> > # cause the machine to not boot without manual intervention before the
> > # fstab is adjusted.
> >
> > What sort of changes are likely to occur that would affect fstab? The
> > box is remote, so I can fix most things via a serial console as long as
> > it'll boot :-)

Please, please, please, please consider making OFW_NEWPCI the default.
After turning it on, 'make buildworld':

        3h37m12.24s real  2h56m32.37s user   34m20.62s sys

still a little slower than before, but not the 4x degradation I
experienced.

I'm curious why you didn't see this on your Blade 100 didn't experience
this as mine did.  Could it be that you have no devices in your PCI slots
and I have two SCSI cards?

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)