Sparc slowdown - problem identified...

Thomas Moestl t.moestl at tu-bs.de
Fri Aug 15 06:50:28 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003/08/15 at 12:20:39 +0200, Harti Brandt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> it seems I have identified which commit causes the slow down on some
> sparcs. The kernel from just before that commit works just fine, the
> kernel from just after it is 3x slower on my Ultra-10 (as was also
> reported by others). I have no idea why that happens. The only difference
> in the time -l report is user and system time going up by a factor of
> three and the involuntary context switches doubling.

It seems that deferred errors (and thus the data access errors
generated due to PCI bus timeouts from non-existant devices) will
disable the instruction and data cache by resetting the corresponding
enable bits in the LSU control register, and the current code fails to
reenable them (which also requires a cache flush). A simple workaround
for now is to avoid triggering these errors, so enabling OFW_NEWPCI
should help.

	- Thomas

--
Thomas Moestl <t.moestl at tu-bs.de>	http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0015675/