ponderous 'make world' times post GCC 3.3...

Steve Ames steve at energistic.com
Wed Aug 13 08:55:28 PDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 05:51:49PM +0200, Harti Brandt wrote:
> The problem is, that compiling just anything takes 3 time longer on an
> actual kernel, than on one from June 1st. Same world, same kernel config,
> same compiler (3.2.2).

Not arguing that. I'm suggesting that perhaps one of the kernel debug
options is pessimizing compiles across the board. It took me 12 hours
to do a 'make world' when I had debugging options enabled in my kernel.
I took them out and now I can 'make world' in 4.5 hours. I would expect
that ratio to hold for all compiles and not just 'make world'.

so.. running with a kernel with debug options causes my compiles to
be almost 3 times as long. That's all I'm saying. What does your
kernel config look like? Do you have all of the debug stuff turned
on?

-Steve