only one logical CPU used in Xeon

Won De Erick won.derick at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 10 07:55:49 PDT 2009

Hi,

I also have boxes with several Intel Xeon dual-core processors, and also got same results.

With FreeBSD 6.2R:
#sysctl -a | grep pci.enable
hw.pci.enable_io_modes: 1

I think 6.2 uses legacy interrupt (INTx) which allows sharing of IRQs and is CPU bounded(?). It is also probable that even MSI/MSIX-supported NIC drivers are used here, 6.2R still used the traditional interrupt mechanism.

With FreeBSD 7.1:
#sysctl -a | grep pci.enable
hw.pci.enable_msix: 1
hw.pci.enable_msi: 1
hw.pci.enable_io_modes: 1

Google would tell us that MSI/MSI-X allows control over which processor is chosen as the interrupt target. Does this explain the result?

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2008/02/26/whats-new-in-freebsd-70.html?page=last

Regards,

Won