smp router

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Fri Feb 20 01:53:01 PST 2009

Evgenii Davidov wrote:
> Здравствуйте,
>
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:47:10PM +0100, Ivan Voras пишет:
>
>> Evgenii Davidov wrote:
>>> tell me please:
>>> in freebsd 7 do the kernel processes such as routing, ipfw, nat, dummynet use more than one cpu?
>>> i have about 3k packets per second, will it be sme advantage of running smp router?
>> I think 3k packets per second is too low for you to experience CPU power
>> shortage.
>
> sorry, i have mistyped: 30k !
>
>> Maybe this will help you:
>> http://www.tancsa.com/blast.html
>
> thank you!

It's a bit old and for an old version of FreeBSD, but you can use it as
a starting point: until you reach the numbers of PPS from those tables,
you shouldn't worry :) There are not many SMP benchmarks there, but I
think they show that, at least back then, it wasn't worth using on a
router. The situation now should be better, but I don't know if anyone's
measured it.