Core i7 anyone else?

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 19 03:57:57 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 08:44:03PM +0900, Takanori Watanabe wrote:
> Hi, I recently bought Core i7 machine(for 145,000JPY: about $1500)
> and sometimes hangs up oddly.
> When in the state, some specific process only works and
> replys ping, but not reply any useful information.
>
> I suspect it may caused by CPU power management, so I cut
> almost all CPU power management feature on BIOS parameter.
>
> Are there any people encouterd such trouble?
> And on this machine build world in SCHED_ULE(15min.) is slower
> than SCHED_4BSD(12min.).
>

> ===dmesg===
> http://www.init-main.com/corei7.dmesg
> or
> http://pastebin.com/m187f77aa
> (if host is down)
>
> =====DSDT====
> http://www.init-main.com/corei7.asl
> or
> http://pastebin.com/m6879984a
>
> ==some sysctls==
> hw.machine: i386
> hw.model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         920  @ 2.67GHz
> hw.ncpu: 8
> hw.byteorder: 1234
> hw.physmem: 3202322432
> hw.usermem: 2956083200
> hw.pagesize: 4096
> hw.floatingpoint: 1
> hw.machine_arch: i386
> hw.realmem: 3211264000
> ==
> machdep.enable_panic_key: 0
> machdep.adjkerntz: -32400
> machdep.wall_cmos_clock: 1
> machdep.disable_rtc_set: 0
> machdep.disable_mtrrs: 0
> machdep.guessed_bootdev: 2686451712
> machdep.idle: acpi
> machdep.idle_available: spin, mwait, mwait_hlt, hlt, acpi,
> machdep.hlt_cpus: 0
> machdep.prot_fault_translation: 0
> machdep.panic_on_nmi: 1
> machdep.kdb_on_nmi: 1
> machdep.tsc_freq: 2684011396
> machdep.i8254_freq: 1193182
> machdep.acpi_timer_freq: 3579545
> machdep.acpi_root: 1024240
> machdep.hlt_logical_cpus: 0
> machdep.logical_cpus_mask: 254
> machdep.hyperthreading_allowed: 1
> ==
> kern.sched.preemption: 0
> kern.sched.topology_spec: <groups>
>  <group level="1" cache-level="0">
>   <cpu count="8" mask="0xff">0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7</cpu>
>   <flags></flags>
>  </group>
> </groups>
>
> kern.sched.steal_thresh: 3
> kern.sched.steal_idle: 1
> kern.sched.steal_htt: 1
> kern.sched.balance_interval: 133
> kern.sched.balance: 1
> kern.sched.affinity: 1
> kern.sched.idlespinthresh: 4
> kern.sched.idlespins: 10000
> kern.sched.static_boost: 160
> kern.sched.preempt_thresh: 0
> kern.sched.interact: 30
> kern.sched.slice: 13
> kern.sched.name: ULE
> ===

When building world/kernel, do you see odd behaviour (on CURRENT) such
as the load average being absurdly high, or processes (anything; sh,
make, mutt, etc.) getting stuck in bizarre states?  These things are
what caused my buildworld/buildkernel times to increase (compared to
RELENG_7).  I was using ULE entirely (on CURRENT and RELENG_7), but
did not try 4BSD.  I documented my experience.

http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/Bizarre_CURRENT_experience

I have no idea if your problem is the same as mine.  This is purely
speculative on my part.  (And readers of that Wiki article should
note that the problem was not hardware-related)