intel multi-core support

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 28 15:25:43 PST 2008

Frank W. Miller wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>I've been scanning the source code tree.  Can anyone point me at the files
>where code for enabling and managing Intel multi-core functionality is
>located?

They are built into the ACPI table in your BIOS, so the OS "just finds them" when it reads the processor SMP table information from there.

If you are installing a multicore CPU in a motherboard that's not expecting it, you will need to update your BIOS at the same time so that the processor is reported to the OS.

-- Terry