Pfil and SMP

Lee Brotherston lee at nerds.org.uk
Mon Jul 23 10:31:12 UTC 2007

Hi,

Apologies if this is an area which has been covered somewhere, but my
google skills don't seem to have uncovered it.

I am working with the pfil interface and use pfil_add_hook to process
or drop a number of packets.  However as my test equipment is only
single processor I have been unable to test in an SMP environment.
So, the crux of my query is...

Does the SMP setup in FreeBSD 6.x & 7.x, leave the possibility that
the two instances of the function named in the pfil_add_hook call, may
be running at once?  Or is there some kind of locking which prevents
this?  My reason for asking is that there is a state table which I do
not want altering in two places at once, and so I will impliment
internal locks.

(If possible I'd appreciate being CC'd on replies as I'm not currently
subscribed).

Many thanks

  Lee

--