Progress on scaling of FreeBSD on 8 CPU systems

Martin Blapp mb at imp.ch
Sun Feb 25 13:23:12 UTC 2007

Hi,

> It would be really great if we could find "workload owners" who would
> maintain easy-to-run benchmark configurations and also run them regularly on
> a fixed hardware configuration over a long time publishing results and
> testing patches.  Kris has done this for SQL benchmarks to great effect,

I'm interested in such a workload test. At my job we run various other
servers which have a classic virus/antispam environment. And unfortunatly
clamd behaves not very well on FreeBSD (see mails to freebsd-threads),
and this happens even on 2-CPU systems.

I think its not very difficult to make a scripted load test, with 2/4/6/8/16/32
scans in parallel, with ULE or BSD scheduler.

Btw: what is the best method to profile a threaded application to see where it
spends the most CPU time ?

Martin