Kernel Update To 6.2 Stable Causes Dell PowerEdge 1750 (SMP) To Freeze On Boot

Sean Benoit sean at digital-jungle.com
Thu Feb 22 23:00:46 UTC 2007

Hello,

Last fall, while updating a 6.1 Stable kernel to 6.2 Pre-Release, I
noted that the then new kernel caused all our previously functioning
Dell PowerEdge 1750s (dual processor) to freeze on boot at the point
in the boot process where the second processor was being detected.
Disabling the second processor in the BIOS served as a temporary
workaround and enabled the systems to boot successfully.

At that time I submitted a PR via the website and a patch was issued
within a few hours. The patch resolved the problem. I didn't keep
that original correspondence because I assumed that all was well
moving forward.

Last weekend I attempted to update the same systems for the first
time since last fall from the patched 6.2 Pre-Release kernel to the
new 6.2 Stable kernel. I was alarmed to see that the EXACT same issue
had reappeared. The symptoms are exactly the same - as is the
workaround (disable the second processor in the BIOS).

I have once again submitted a PR (109267) via the website (details at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=109267); however, I have
been advised that I should post the issue to this mailing list
instead/prior.

Not sure what to do from here...

Thanks in advance for any help,

Sean Benoit