System Cpu Between 50-70% and need to find out why

Paul bsdlist at cogeco.ca
Sun Apr 22 22:33:50 UTC 2007

Hello,

My system is being killed by a system cpu always between 50-70% on
Freebsd 6.2 with SMP enabled. Does anyone know of a quick tool to be
able to tell me what is making up that 50-70% for the System Cup Usage.

They system is a dual core dual intel xeon with a s5000pal setup and
on the amd64 6.2 stable smp enabled. They system sees all "4" cpus.

I have a hunch that the memory drive is causing this. I set up a
memory drive to hold the amavisd-new temp files and set it to be 4gig
(the system has 16 gigs of ram)

mdmfs -s 4096m -p 0750 -w vscan:vscan md /var/amavis

/dev/md0       3.9G     12M    3.5G     0%    /var/amavis

I wanted to see if I can confirm what part of the system is taking so
much cpu power but have struck out so far in trying to figure this
out. I need to use the memory drive to save the I/O on the scanning
of the email files. This was a suggested solution to remove bottlenecks.

last pid:  5541;  load averages: 25.22, 21.62,
19.24                                                     up
0+13:54:07  18:13:40
348 processes: 19 running, 317 sleeping, 12 zombie
CPU states: 23.7% user,  1.4% nice, 69.9% system,  5.0% interrupt,  0.0% idle
Mem: 1010M Active, 4940M Inact, 347M Wired, 4K Cache, 214M Buf, 9367M Free
Swap: 8192M Total, 8192M Free

Any tips and tools would be greatly appreciated on how to get a
handle on what is causing this problem.

Thanks

Paul