Problems with Samba And Netatalk

Martin Dames dames.martin at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 13 09:23:10 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I have changed my system to a SMP system ( 2x P3 1Ghz, Coppermine ).
I activated the SMP function in the kernel conf and compiled the
latest FreeBSD 6.1 Kernel... so the system runs very very well... I
do had an uptime up to 7 days.... but... here is the problem:

Either samba or netatalk cannot handle files with 4.36 GB correctly
anymore... so I rip some DVDs to an image file under windows and
store this on my server using samba... this works well...

I burn the DVDs with Toast under Mac OS X with either Samba or
netatalk... If I am doing full speed writing 4x to a DVD FreeBSD is
crashing everytime... ok, sometimes it works but after the third DVD
it crashes in any case... I need to reboot the whole FreeBSD system...

Before the switch to a SMP system the whole procedure worked very
well... so it must cohere with SMP. But I dont know what could it be...

afpd is not logging anything but Samba... unfortunately I have to
kill a blank DVD to post the logs here...

until I do that... has anybody an idea what it can be.... maybe I
need a special setting in the kernel conf to do samba and netatalk
correctly... ahh... and I reinstalled netatalk from the ports...
nothing changed...

Thank you very much!

Martin.