FreeBSD 6.1 Instability

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Fri Oct 6 06:14:49 PDT 2006

Greetings,

We have been running FreeBSD on our mail servers for about as long as I can
remember. Recently, we decided to go SMP to handle increased mail load. After
assembling the hardware, installing the OS and software, and restoring all of
our data, we noticed in testing that our first machine began hanging
semi-regularly when it began processing lots of mail. Disabling SMP
eliminated the hangs completely. We tried it all again on completely
different hardware with exactly the same result. Our conclusion: somethings's
buggy in SMP.

Here are the symptoms. The machine hangs, and becomes completely
unresponsive.  It looks like a deadlock.  It will sometimes respond to the
power button and shut down (without being able to first sync and unmount
filesystems), and sometimes the power button event gets caught in the
deadlock.  Sinceit's not actually a crash, there is no core dump or other
debugging information. In the most recent situation, it hung at different
points every time I tried to compile ezm3, after successfully compiling other
packages.

We're system administrators, not kernel hackers, so this is a plea for help. I
wouldn't know where to start, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the
right direction. We're also willing to give a (trustworthy) FreeBSD developer
root access to the test machine since it's just sitting idle right now. If
you need to crash it, that's fine. We'll have people during normal business
hours who know how to push a reset button.

Thanks for your time.
--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com