Tyan S4881+M4881, SMP, 128GB RAM support?

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Sat Jul 1 23:51:04 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 12:37:53PM -0500, Michael C. Wu wrote:

> We are looking into building a big machine
> for scientific computing.  And I am wondering
> about the status of FreeBSD on the hardware.
>
> The processes are very large memory-bound stuff.
>
> We plan to use the Tyan S4881 motherboard, with
> dual-core opterons, and probably fill up the
> board with 4GB RAM.  This board has 16 DIMM slots,
> and we plan to have RAM in all of the slots.

I don't have the s4881 motherboard, but I would be
surprized if FreeBSD did not work on it.

My research group recent purchased a small hyperblade
cluster from Appro.com.  The system has 6 nodes that
are based on the s2881 motherboard with 2 dual-core
2.4 GHz opteron, 16 GB of memory, and 233 GB hard drives.
MPICH2 and gfortran appear to work quite nicely on
the cluster.  The cluster includes a GigE switch, which
I hope to replace with infiniband or myrinet in the
future.

I have no experience with the daughter board you mentioned.

--
Steve