Netpref results on SMP machine

kumaresh pandian kumareshkp at yahoo.co.in
Wed Aug 23 05:05:31 UTC 2006

Hi all,

    I ran the netperf test of TCP_STREAM for 35 hours on a FreeBSD 6.1  SMP machin  and a FreeBSD Single Processor machine which has the following configurations

  Dual Processor

  Operating System : FreeBSD 6.1
  Architecture          : i386
  Processor             : Dual Processor

  Single Processor

  Operating System : FreeBSD 5.4
  Architecture          : i386
  Processor             : Single Processor

  After i got the result form both the machines, the results weren't convincing and the Single processor machhine gave me a better results.

  Please can help me out in this issue

  I have attached the results for refernce.

  Test for TCP_STREAM for 35 Hours

  Single processor Machine

  stars-bsd1# ./netperf -l 126000
  TCP STREAM TEST from ::0 (::) port 0 AF_INET6 to localhost (::1) port 0 AF_INET6
  Recv        Send               Send
  Socket       Socket          Message      Elapsed
  Size          Size                 Size             Time                Throughput
  bytes         bytes              bytes             secs.             10^6bits/sec

   65536       32768            32768         126001.95      2989.35

  Dual Processor Machine

  ./netperf -l 126000
  TCP STREAM TEST from ::0 (::) port 0 AF_INET6 to localhost (::1) port 0 AF_INET6
  Recv         Send            Send
  Socket      Socket         Message          Elapsed
  Size           Size             Size                  Time             Throughput
  bytes         bytes            bytes                 secs.            10^6bits/sec

   65536      32768          32768                125998.03   2672.19

  Thanks
  kumaresh