SMP kernel but no SMP detected on Tyan S2515

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Thu Nov 17 23:05:15 PST 2005

Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Network Operations Center wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I'm burried in work at the momment - part of which is getting caught
>> up on
>> mail. But I couldn't help but notice your eMail. As I am also running
>> Tyan
>> S2515's *and* S2518's happily on (SMP)freeBSD. I thought I'd sneek a
>> peek at
>> your eMail. I haven't got the time at this momment. But I will share
>> my KERNCONF
>> and anything else that comes to mind with you tommorrow (technically,
>> a little
>> later today). Till then, best wishes to ya.
>>

> Thanks,
>
> Yeah, its got me puzzled - am running 6.0-RELEASE SMP happily on a
> S2510... I am suspicious of the cpus themselves (see prev mail in
> thread). I have a pair of properly matched 800's that I will swap in
> later today and see if they change anything.

Its not the cpus - the 800s exhibit the same behavior (no mptable).

However swapping out the BIOS from a another (faulty) board *did* fix
the problem - the original BIOS was a bit of a strange one - had
settings for booting off USB harddrives... (hmm - disabled APICs to make
USB work maybe...).

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Mark