SMP kernel but no SMP detected on Tyan S2515

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Wed Nov 16 21:23:39 PST 2005

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 November 2005 02:17 am, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
>
>>This has me puzzled:
>>
>>I have a 2 cpu S2515 that has had SMP added to the kernel - however upon
>>reboot the 2nd cpu is not detected (It is detected by the BIOS BTW). I
>>see the following in the verbose dmesg:
>>
>>APIC: Could not find any APICs.
>>
>>I am guessing that it is turned off in the BIOS (???), if so, I've no
>>idea where it is (AMIBIOS is my least favorite...).
>>
>>I have enclosed a verbose dmesg and my kernel differences from GENERIC
>>plus the (non-existent) output from mptable.
>>

>>Any ideas appreciated.
>

> You're going to need to fiddle with the BIOS until mptable(8) finds a valid MP
> Table.  The kernel relies on the MP Table to enumerate CPUs and route
> interrupts.  You can also try enabling ACPI if your machine supports ACPI.

Ok - will do. I

One other point, the cpus are both PIII SL52R (1000/256/133/1.75V), but
they don't appear to be a matched pair (one is made in Malay, the other
somewhere else - the heatsink is over it...) would this matter?

Another possibility is that one of the cpus is faulty - should mptable
show anything if one cpu is not "really" going (or for that matter if I
remove one of 'em)?

Thanks for the advise

Mark