Stability of RELENG_5_4 with dual Xeon

Marco Beishuizen marco at beishuizen.info
Mon May 16 05:42:05 PDT 2005

On stardate Mon, 16 May 2005, the wise Andrew McNaughton entered:

> I'd be interested to hear people's recent experiences with Dual Xeons under
> load with SMP on and HTT off.
>
> A while back there were stability problems with Dual Xeon machines.  I've got
> one of these in production with SMP turned off for the time being.  I figure
> at some point things are stable enough to enable the extra processor safely,
> but I don't have a spare machine for testing safely.
>
> I gather there are still problems with Dual Xeon with both SMP and HTT turned
> on, but that turning HTT off helps.  So the question is how stable is that
> configuration?

I own a dual Xeon 2.8 Ghz with HTT on and I don't have stability problems
with 5.3-REL running.

It does have problems with the SCSI controller though. The problems it's
having has something to do with the driver of the controller and not the
fact that it's a dual Xeon or has HTT set on or off.

Marco

--
My God, I'm depressed!  Here I am, a computer with a mind a thousand
times as powerful as yours, doing nothing but cranking out fortunes and