Stability of RELENG_5_4 with dual Xeon

Andy Hilker ah at crypta.net
Mon May 16 03:08:16 PDT 2005

Hi,

You (Andrew McNaughton) wrote:

> I'd be interested to hear people's recent experiences with Dual Xeons
> under load with SMP on and HTT off.

I have two boxes, HTT is turned off generally.

- 2 x 1 GHz PIII, older hardware. With SMP it always reboots under
load after a few hours or days. With "kern.smp.disabled=1" in
/boot/loader.conf it runs more stable, but reboots doesn't dissappear
completely.  Another user with the same motherboard (ASUS CUR-DLS)
reported similar problems and has changed the hardware.  Before a
few month i found out, if i remove "options SMP" from kernel, machine
runs without any problems!  Since then I am interested in the
difference between the smp kernel option and boot loader setting
:)

- 2 x 3.06 GHz XEON
Since a few month it runs very stable. I have used 5.3 with a few
options about 4 GB memory (KVA_PAGES). Additionally only with a few
other options it run stable:

#  /boot/loader.conf
debug.mpsafenet=0
net.inet.tcp.sack.enable=0

# kernel config
option  NET_WITH_GIANT

Since upgrade to 5.4 I test without these options. In 20-40 days I
will know if it runs stable.

Regards,
Andy