FreeBSD 5.3 et multiprocessor

ISP Informatique mlh at ispinfo.fr
Wed Mar 9 02:09:35 PST 2005

Hello, I recently have just passed a server of FreeBSD 4.2 to FreeBSD 5.3.
The nasty surprise being which I note a notable reduction in the
performances.
The machine is a HP LT6000r, quadri Xeon 700 with 2Go of RAM.

The results are appreciably the same ones with a kernel including or not
"options SMP".

Did I miss some thing?  or perhaps did this already arrive at others?
In particular, I has just crossed this in
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html

> options          SCHED_4BSD         # 4BSD scheduler
>

> The traditional scheduler for FreeBSD. Depending on your system's
> workload, you may gain performance by using the new ULE scheduler for
> FreeBSD that has been designed specially for SMP, but works just fine
> on UP systems too. If you wish to try it out, replace SCHED_4BSD with
> SCHED_ULE in your configuration file.

Did you already test?

By advance, thank you,

--