Lost interrupts on SMP systems

Peter Trifonov pvtrifonov at mail.ru
Fri Jan 14 10:13:34 PST 2005

Hello John,
> > I have found two similar problem reports:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=i386/40274
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=i386/43852
> > Some other bug reports also mention "device timeout", but
> they seem to
> > differ considerably from my case.
>
> Those two bug reports tend to focus on fxp(4) though and you
> have xl(4) cards.
I had the same problem with fxp's.  Initially I though that it was fxp
driver problem (because xl0 worked fine),
so I have replaced Intel NICs with 3COM ones, but nothing has changed. From
this I guess that the problem is not in the NIC drivers.

> I've gone ahead and committed the fix for the MPTable global
> entries btw.  I don't think there is a routing or edge/level
> problem though because the devices do work until you do a
> ping flood.  One thing we can try is that Linux has a
IMPORTANT: I can do flood ping over either of them without any problems (at
least, if the system is booted with -p -v, I don't know why).
They break down ONLY if flood ping is SIMULTANEOUSLY  performed over both of
them.

> workaround for an undocumented errata in at least some older
> I/O APICs where a level triggered interrupt can accidentally
> be delivered as edge triggered and end up not being properly
> acknowledged.  However, you don't have any level triggered
> interrupts, so I'm not sure that is applicable.

Please let me know how can I help you with this problem.

With best regards,
P. Trifonov