process binding

Bob Ababurko bob at phreakout.net
Thu Jan 13 09:28:55 PST 2005

Hello-

I am looking for a way to bind processes to specific processors.  I am
first trying to find an opensource OS that will be able to do it.  It
seems that there is a glimmer of hope with the new release of
FreeBSD...5.3.  So will the function, sched_bind() be able to help me.
I am not really to sure what this is...(someone brought it up to me on
the openbsd smp list)...is it a command or function of C?

I basically want to run a fairly simple perl script on each processor of
a two processor machine.  I am looking to this idea because running two
of these scripts on a single proc machine yields very poor performance.
    These run for about an hour, but take like 10 times longer if more
than one is running(single proc).  I am hoping that I can find a way to
achieve some good results by running one process per proc on a dual proc
machine.  I am getting ready to build a athlon MP 2800+ if I can figure
out a way to make this work.

If anyone has any insight into this problem as well as sched_bind, I
would love to hear any feedback.

thanks,
Bob