freebsd-smp Digest, Vol 107, Issue 1

Remy de Ruysscher remy at unix-asp.com
Fri Aug 26 14:41:22 GMT 2005

>Message: 1
>Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:09:38 -0700 (PDT)
>From: LT Cornell <ltgator333 at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Free BSD 5.x
>To: freebsd-smp at freebsd.org, freebsd-ia32 at freebsd.org
>

>I've been having problems with FreeBSD since I got
>version 5.3, it ran great on my small junk system, but
>for some reason it would constantly freeze and or
>panic out on my dual processor system.  I've just
>gotten version 5.4, and after panicing out through the
>first two install attemps, it's running ok.  I've
>recompiled the kernel with the generic SMP config and
>then again with my own config, but I'm constantly
>getting a message about 'Warning- DMA write interrupt
>seen but fired' after the computer has frozen up for a
>few seconds, and then it will resume.  It also doesn't
>seem to be running as quickly, I've ran versions 4.11
>and 5.1 on the same system with no problems.
>I have a-
>Dual AMD Athlon MP's
>Chaintech MoBo AMD 768MPX chipset
>Promise Fastrack ATA -133 RAID controller
>Hitachi deskstar 7K250
>
>Any thoughts?
>thanx, LT

Well, I've been having the same issues on HP Proliant DL140 servers
(3.0Ghz Xeon SMP) with 1Gb mem and onboard
ATA controllers.  I'm getting DMA timeouts and the server panics.

I'm unable to reproduce it by hand, seems to crash randomly (which is
bad, because it's a webserver from one of our customers).

Regards,
Remy.