Free BSD 5.x

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Fri Aug 26 01:39:36 GMT 2005

On Aug 25, 2005, at 9:09 PM, LT Cornell wrote:

> I've been having problems with FreeBSD since I got
> version 5.3, it ran great on my small junk system, but
> for some reason it would constantly freeze and or
> panic out on my dual processor system.  I've just
> gotten version 5.4, and after panicing out through the
> first two install attemps, it's running ok.  I've
> recompiled the kernel with the generic SMP config and
> then again with my own config, but I'm constantly
> getting a message about 'Warning- DMA write interrupt
> seen but fired' after the computer has frozen up for a
> few seconds, and then it will resume.  It also doesn't
> seem to be running as quickly, I've ran versions 4.11
> and 5.1 on the same system with no problems.
> I have a-
> Dual AMD Athlon MP's
> Chaintech MoBo AMD 768MPX chipset
> Promise Fastrack ATA -133 RAID controller
> Hitachi deskstar 7K250
>
> Any thoughts?
> thanx, LT

Well if i were you, i'd try to narrow down the problem.  You have DMA
errors.  Try disabling ultra dma on your ata controller for your
drives individually until the errors stop or all are disabled.  If
the errors stop with all the drives off, there must have been a
negative change to the promise driver or previously your controller
was not using ultra dma and it is now.

It sounds like you have some nice hardware, but i've found that
FreeBSD 5.x and 6 beta is picky with AMD ia32 based machines.

Lucas Holt
Luke at FoolishGames.com
FoolishGames.com  (Jewel Fan Site)
JustJournal.com (Free blogging)
FoolishGames.net (Enemy Territory IoM site)

Think PC.. in 2006 you can own an Apple PCintosh. Whats next, windows
works?